Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 4 19:28:10 CET 2009

Alain Schremmer wrote:
[]
> My problem is that I originally spent an inordinate amount of time just
> setting up a LaTeX installation and that each time I changed anything
> wasted a lot more time doing repairs. Which is THE reason I am still
> with 10.4.11

I understand you perfectly well. For the same reason, I am still using
Fink's tetex :-). I know that every time I install or update TeX, I
loose 2 or 3 days to iron out all the wrinkles from the new
configuration. I don't want to do this more than once every 2 years or
so (futile wish, of course; I just installed MacTeX and Fink's tetex on
two new machines; fortunately I don't have to do serious work on these).

> So, I have no idea what inputenc package I am using, do not know how to
> find out other than I would have to use the terminal and have no time
> learning about that. I don't know what unicode is, nor what macosroman
> or applemac is etc.

But you know how to call TeXShop's preferences pane? On its first
window, it has a menu called "Encoding". Every text editor has such a
menu somewhere. This is just life. I find this whole encoding and fonts
business repulsive, too, just like the different keyboard layouts that
one has to deal with.

--
Martin