Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jan 4 18:17:11 CET 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 10:51 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> Thank you Herb and Martin for confirming that however trivial the
> thing is, it is not documented anywhere I looked (which includes
> French "beginners" "introductions" etc. to Latex).
>
> But maybe I did miss a major document, so I'd appreciate if you
> could give me pointers to either documents available in the MacTex
> distribution or publicaly available on the web (along with the way
> to actually _find_ the thing from Google for ex).
>
> Because everything I looked at either did not have up to date
> information or did not produce the expected results or did not
> provide any information at all.
>
> To Martin: I don't see why I'd first consider Latin-1 as an option
> for my work because I know fully well that Japanese is not encoded
> in Latin-1.
>

> Jean-Christophe Helary

Howdy,

How about a couple of great reference books: Kopka and Daly, ``Guide
to laTeX,'' 4th Edition and Mittlebach, Goosens, etc., `` The LaTeX
Companion,'' 2nd Edition. The first is a wonderful introduction to
LaTeX with all sorts of general information. The second is a huge
compendium of information on customizing LaTeX as well and using many
packages with LaTeX.

XeLaTeX is very new and therefore not all that well documented.
Hopefully that will change over time. The only (limited) documentation
I know of is ``The XeTeX Companion'' edited by Michel Goosens. It can
be obtained as <http://cern.ch/XML/lgc2/xetexmain.pdf>. I warn you
ahead of time that it is a work in progress and incomplete although it
is a good start.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)