Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jan 4 17:59:31 CET 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 9:42 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

>> These are not _MacTeX_ choices at all.
>
> Then what is the point of MacTex at all ? If MacTex is made for the
> OSX, then I can't see how changing the TeX default font to use a
> font provided by default by the OS is a problem ?
>

> Jean-Christophe Helary

Howdy,

The point of MacTeX is to provide an easy, one click method of
installing TeX Live as well as some GUI applications, Ghostscript, the
convert utility used by tex4ht and a simple way to choose between
installed TeX distributions (e.g., TeX Live 2007 and 2008). It will
also optionally install Latin Modern Open Type Fonts in /Library/
Fonts/ so they can be used in other applications.

It is NOT meant to be a customized set of programs just for Mac OS X
since one of the wonderful things about TeX is that it is platform
independent. (By the way, using some of the neat fonts available on
the Mac via xelatex or purchased fonts, like my favorite Lucida
Bright, with (pdf)latex does break this somewhat.) I'm amazed that
files I wrote back in the late 1980's under MSDOS still compile
without error although much has changed and advanced (especially
graphics) with the distribution.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)