Re: Documentation (was Re: [OS X TeX] Kanbun (漢文) and French...)

Jean-Claude DE SOZA jeanclaudedesoza at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 3 09:16:26 CET 2009

Re-bonjour Jean-Christophe,

> Now I use, in the middle of the French "Avertissement", a Vietnamese
> word (hán vǎn) that misses the "ǎ" when I typeset the text with
> the above settings. Depending on the preambles I use (either mine or
> a modified version of yours) I either get "v n" or "vn".
>
> I suppose I am starting to see the beginning of multilingual TeX
> here...
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary

If I have correctly read all the messages of this thread, you have now
the MacTeX package installed.
Open Terminal and type: texdoc vntex and you'll see something like this:

vntex-3.1.7

This file is part of VnTeX.  License: LPPL, version 1.3 or newer,
see: http://www.latex-project.org/lppl.txt

Authors: Han The Thanh <HanTheThanh at gmx.net> and
          Reinhard Kotucha <Reinhard.Kotucha at web.de>

The primary site of VnTeX is

     http://vntex.sf.net

There is a mailing list (very low traffic) for questions about
VnTeX and typesetting Vietnamese.  To subscribe to the list, visit

I. Typesetting Vietnamese

Editor
======
In order to typeset Vietnamese you need an editor in which you can
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/generic/vntex/vntex.txt

Scroll down with Space and you'll read that you can add vietnam to
frenchb in Babel package options.

Jean-Claude DE SOZA