[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.4

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Jan 3 02:41:34 CET 2009

On Jan 2, 2009, at 10:23 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> There can only be one PATH. To achieve this edit ~/.MacOSX/
> environment.plist to correct its faulty settings and use for bash:
>
> 	export PATH=$(defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" PATH)
> 	export MANPATH=$(defaults read "${HOME}/.MacOSX/environment" MANPATH)

Oh great.  Now you'll be using a command that is documented to break
at some time in the future [1] to read a file that shouldn't be used
in the first place [2].  Debugging problems caused by
environment.plist has caused me and other developers many hours of
frustration.  Please don't advise other people to do this.

[1] see my earlier quote from the man page for defaults(1)
[2] setting PATH in environment.plist is a last-resort hack, like
turning your underwear inside out when the drawer is empty