[OS X TeX] OT: Little Snitch

Robert Bruner rrb at math.wayne.edu
Thu Jan 1 20:12:07 CET 2009

A little while ago I said:

> I found your comments about Little Snitch interesting, so tried it
> out (version 2_0_4).  Wasn't so sure i wanted to run it, so tried simply
> killing the 4 processes it seemed to have launched, but even my
> administrative user acct didn't have sufficient permissions, and I didn't
> want to enable real root access just for this, so looked at Little Snitch's
> Config/Install and asked it to Uninstall.  All seemed to go well, but
> I am now unable to go online with Skype (I tell it to go online and
> nothing happens - no error message but I am also not put online).
>
> Similarly, Mail seems to be blocking content that would have been visible
> before.

This problem was solved by simply rebooting.  Turns out

 - little snitch prevents kill -9 from stopping it, as this
   would allow malicious programs to defeat it

 - the module at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch stays loaded through
   logout and login, even after an Uninstall, (Check via kexstat
   in a Terminal Window),

 - rebooting after Uninstall will not reload this module:  Problem Solved.

Objective Development solved this for me within 1/2 hour of my reporting the
problem.  Kudos to their tech support.

Bob Bruner

PS:  FWIW, I am still in the dark ages:  Mac OS X 10.4.11 on my home machine,
planning to upgrade soon, as I like 10.5, which I have on my office machine.