[OS X TeX] line-endings; Was: wrapping in TeXShop

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 17:33:59 CET 2009

On Jan 1, 2009, at 9:54 AM, David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE,
CFM wrote:

> So, I cut and paste the text, fix the problems (because Word
> insists on using curly quotes and such)

Dim memories from WordHell seem to say that you can tell Word not to
insist.

> , and typeset equations.
>
> my favorite bounces back and forth between BBEdit and Textmate --
> hoping to avoid starting an editor-war :)

While I am not about to switch from TeXShop for any number of
reasons, I , for one, would welcome an editor-war just to see what
BBEdit/TextWrangler and Textmate really ARE. In fact, I am fiddling
with the idea of learning a bit of Python to embed it in LaTeX and
the first thing I ran into was what editor to use. This brings me
back to a few years ago when I started on LaTeX and had no idea what
to do.

> While my comment isn't meant as a slam to TeXShop, which I used for
> years, I find myself reverting to a text editor (currently
> Textmate) for writing LaTeX source, then either using the built-in
> facility to render the source or the command line to execute
> commands. I am currently using Skim as my viewer.

For me, terminal is out. But, still, I am curious as to why use
Textmate + Skim as opposed to, say, TexShop. Etc. No reason why not
have a civilized war.

> There isn't anything wrong with TeXShop. I just wanted more text-
> editor features than were available in that package.

Such as?

But, should the war be started, it should of course be on a new thread.

Regards
--schremmer