[OS X TeX] Adding text, etc. to figures... why don't we just do it like this...

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Feb 21 20:09:20 CET 2009

On Feb 21, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:
>>
>>> I used to be a big fan of psfrag before pdtex. pdftricks, etc.,
>>> isn't quite as convenient (I might have the names wrong). I had to
>>> get something done quickly the other day and put $k_1$ on a
>>> figure, and simply did the following.
>>>
>>> \includegraphics[]{fig.jpg}\hspace*{-2.4in}\raisebox{1.2in}{$k_1$}
>>>
>>> Am I missing something, or why are some of the other tools
>>> necessary? Is this just not robust enough? Granted, it took a few
>>> compiles to get the positioning right.
>>
>> What if you have a plot to which you want to add 30 or 40 labels
>> (which I often have)? Doing it with the method described above
>> would send me to an asylum. :-)
>>
>> It just so much easier to place them with a mouse in Illustrator.
>
> I prefer to label as much as I can in the originating program
> (typically DataTank and DataGraph), since I typically have to
> regenerate figures a couple of times while writing a paper.  For
> labeling photos or other graphics, I use Create (poor man's
> Illustrator :) for the reasons Gary mentioned.

Howdy,

I've used Create ever since Gerben recommended it several years ago.
Really nice program and I've had no problems with simply including
text/maths generated by LaTeXiT directly into the figure. A really
nice program with lifetime updates and responsive authors.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)