[OS X TeX] Input encoding question

Nathan Paxton napaxton at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 19 17:35:51 CET 2009

	Hi all,

	I have a (hopefully) simple question. I know that TexShop can save
files in a  variety of encodings, like Latin, UTF-8, and so forth.

	The default for TS seems to be Western Mac encoding. What will change
if I change everything to UTF-8?

	I'll explain why: I have a document that's a sub-part of a master doc
(a chapter of my dissertation). In the chapter, there's a lot of stuff
that's quoted in or cut-and-pasted from Spanish, and the originals
have lots of accented characters (á and other vowels, for example).
Under the default encoding, pdflatex is unhappy and spits back an
error, but under UTF-8, pdflatex is as happy as a clam. I've written
the other parts of the dissertation (three chapters) in Western Latin
Mac. Is anything terrible going to happen (to the best of your
guessing) if I save just this chapter in UTF-8, as a subsidiary of the
master doc? So,
1.	Is one part of a master in a different encoding a problem?
2.	Or does the whole master doc and all subsidiary (\include{}) docs
need to be in the same encoding?
	a.	What effect could this have on those docs, assuming no other
changes are made?

	I hope that's clear. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Best,
-Nathan
----------
Nathan A. Paxton
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Government, Harvard University

Resident Tutor
John Winthrop House, Harvard University

napaxton AT fas DOT harvard DOT edu
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~napaxton
When you have to stay eight years away from California, you live in a
perpetual state of homesickness.
         - Ronald Reagan

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.  Aloud.
         -Coco Chanel