[OS X TeX] Adding menu item and shortcut to TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Feb 15 16:20:05 CET 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Kirk Lowery wrote:

> I've been trying to add XeLaTeX to the Typeset menu item in TeXShop. I
> modified KeyEquivalents.plist but apparently it only will modify the
> short cut for an already existing menu item. Or is
> KeyEquivalents.plist the right way to do this and I'm doing it wrong?
>
> So, to start with, is it possible to add a menu item to TeXShop's
> default menus?
>
> Kirk

Howdy,

The KeyEquivalents.plist file is meant to be a way to change keyboard
shortcuts. There seems to be a problem with it and it doesn't work as
advertised. It is NOT meant to change the Menu System. this can only
be changed by working with resources and re-compiling TeXShop.

You can only get xelatex as an engine file which is observable in the
drop down list on the Source/Preview Window's Tool Bar. The easiest
way to tell TeXShop to use the xelatex engine is to place the line

%%!TEX TS-program = xelatex

at the top of your file. I'd also add the line

%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

after it to guarantee TeXShop knows how to read and save the file.

I've made a Template file (stored in ~/Library/TeXShop/Templates)
which has those lines as well as my ``standard'' preamble for setting
up fonts.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)