[OS X TeX] Lucida again

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 11 22:12:20 CET 2009

On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:45 PM, George Gratzer wrote:

> Hi Jose Maria,
>
> This is a miracle! This works.
>
> And how fast. Since I am not working within invisible folders with
> permission problems, I just dragged the Lucida folder's content into
> the new texmf folder, did the sudo, and pronto.
>
> Should somebody write to TUG and tell them this?
>
> I do update the clone daily, but I assume that I also export the
> corruptions...
>
> Your friend,
>
> George

Howdy,

Write to TUG and tell them what? There are several ``directory trees''
where TeX looks for things. Where you install something depends upon
who is going to use it on the system. The tree that starts in ~/
Library/texmf/ (where ~ is your HOME directory) is for personal use
only; no other user on the system will be able to use things installed
there. If you want to install items for all users of the system to be
able to use you should install them in the tree that starts in /usr/
local/texlive/texmf-local/ and then you need to run

sudo mktexlsr

so TeX can find them (no need to do that for your personal tree).
There are multiple trees that start in /usr/local/texlive/2008/ (e.g.,
texmf-dist) but you shouldn't touch those since updates to the system
can overwrite items in those trees.

If you are installing fonts you also need to tell TeX about them.
There are basically two ways to do that. If the font is only for your
use you can use the command

updmap --enable Map mapfile.map

where mapfile.map is the map file for the font you are installing.
This will install the information needed by TeX in a personal
directory (I believe ~/.texlive2008/web2c/ which is by default,
invisible in the Finder) which is searched before the system wide
tree. For system wide installation you should use

sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map mapfile.map

where the -H option basically tells the system to NOT search your
personal tree. You could so a system wide installation AND have the
installation search your personal tree for the map file using

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map mapfile.map

but other users may then believe they could use the font but it won't
be found.

One word of caution... if you create a personal map file make sure you
remember that you did so. We've seen some problems where, later, a
system wide map file is created but the system still can't find the
font since the personal map file takes precedence.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)