[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX from TeXShop

Red Roo redrooz at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 18:51:50 CET 2009

--- On Fri, 2/6/09, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> From: Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] XeLaTeX from TeXShop
> Date: Friday, February 6, 2009, 9:21 AM
> On Feb 6, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Red Roo wrote:
>
> > On Fri Jan 16 17:50:51 CET 2009 Peter Vamos P.Vamos
> wrote:
> >> Members of this list might be interested in
> reading this article by
> >> George Gratzer, no stranger, in the January issue
> of the AMS Notices
> >>

> <http://www.ams.org/notices/200901/tx090100052p.pdf>
> >>
> >> Part I: Breaking Free. Editor's note: This is
> the first of a series
> >> of columns updating the mathematical community
> about some current
> >> developments in TeX and TeXing.
> >
> > I tried running the XeLaTeX example from p. 54 of the
> above AMS article with TeXShop 2.18, but it fails to find
> the Garamond Premier Pro font. I had the impression from
> both the AMS article and the installation instructions for
> MaxTeX.mpkg of Jan 8, 2009, that this would work 'out of
> the box.' What do I need to do?
> >
> > This looks like a pathing problem. If I replace to the
> Garamond with Times Roman, it typesets fine. I am explicitly
> typesetting with the XeLaTeX menu option and UTF-8 encoding.
> The platform is MacOS X 10.5.6 (Leopard) on an Intel
> Macbook.
> >

> Howdy,
>
> Are you sure you have the Garamond Premier Pro font?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

No, I'm not sure of anything. But as someone else pointed out, Garamond is a commercial font. It might've helped if the AMS author had pointed that out in his demo. The dichotomy between FOSS/open and commercial/proprietary is something that could usefully be flagged for those of us who don't pay so much attention to the commercial world of fonts.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.