[OS X TeX] NASA, Word, TeX and PowerPoint

Rene Borgella macmechanic at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 4 16:00:35 CET 2009

Hi All:

I was catching up on the list and read the threads about Macintouch's
report about NASA's use of Word vs. TeX.  It reminded me of Edward
Tufte's book, "The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint".  Are you folks
familiar with it?  It's very interesting!  In the essay, Tufte documents
how NASA engineers use of PowerPoint impacted their ability to
effectively communicate critical safety and engineering information and,
unfortunately, was partly to blame for the Shuttle Challenger's tragic
accident.  If you are not familiar with Tufte's work, a visit to his
website is probably worth it.  Although he's not a TeX user, as far as I
know, his ideas about how to present information are worthy of your time.

Here are some relevant links

<http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001yB&topic_id=1&topic=Ask+E%2eT%2e>

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Columbia_disaster>

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Tufte>