[OS X TeX] Re: the console in TeXShop 2.20

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Wed Feb 4 11:46:01 CET 2009

El 03/02/2009, a las 21:37, Robert Bruner escribió:

>> 1) If I have the console window in front of the typeset window, and
>> in
>> the source window I command-click some character, the typeset window
>> jumps to the specified location (well, to the page where it is; the
>> precise location appears circled in red, but may not appear inside
>> the
>> window), BUT the console window remains in front of it! I don't know
>> whether this is a bug, anyway I find this strange.
>
> This is strange for Mac OS X, but expected in the Solaris/Linux
> systems
> I have used.  It is exceedingly irritating to me that the window in
> which I am typing MUST be in front of all others:  there are many
> times
> when I am typing in only a small fraction of that window and would be
> happy to have most of it obscured by whatI am reading while typing.
>
> I don't know if this is related to TeXShop's behavior or not.

I would say you touch a different issue. I assume---and accept---that
TeXShop obbeys the normal Mac behaviour: when you type, your typing
window is frontmost.

My point was that when syncing two things should happen: one is that
the typeset window is brought to the front, the other is that its
contents jumps to the place corresponding to the clicked place in the
source. The latter works (although imperfectly, at least for me: it
jumps to the right page, but if the window's size and the
maginification chosen do not show a whole page, then the window jumps
to the *top* of the right page, even when the right place, which is
dully highlighted in red, falls too low in the page that is not shown
in the window). An the former does not work, at least for me, and in
three computers (all with MacOS X 10.5.6 and TeXShop 1.20).

JMaF