[OS X TeX] cmr8 not in mapping file

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 31 22:58:03 CET 2009

On Dec 31, 2009, at 1:03 PM, David Arnold wrote:

> All,
>
> We have a system we've written called Optimath (http://msenux.redwoods.edu/cgi-bin/online/f09/OTlogin.cgi). With this system, the file Untitled.tex basically gets compiles with the following sequence:
>
> latex --shell-escape Untitled.tex
> dvips -o Untitled-pics.ps Untitled.dvi
> ps2pdf Untitled-pics.ps
> pdflatex Untitled.tex
>
> It is the second command that reports this warning:
>
> david-arnolds-macbook-pro-2:chapter4 darnold$ dvips -o Untitled-pics.ps Untitled.dvi
> This is dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 2009.12.31:1258' -> Untitled-pics.ps
> dvips: Font cmr8 used in file Untitled.1 is not in the mapping file.
> dvips: Font cmr10 used in file Untitled.1 is not in the mapping file.
>
> <Untitled.tex>
>
> On Dec 31, 2009, at 12:35 PM, Jean-Claude DE SOZA wrote:
>
>> Bonsoir Herbert,

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I get the same warning. However I've checked pdftex.map, dvips.map and psfonts.map and they all contain cmr8. I don't know anything about metapost so I have no idea what map file it is using.

The problem is that for reasons I don't understand, metapost is referring to the document fonts by incorrect names. The line

%%DocumentFonts: cmr8 cmr10

in Untitled.1 (an eps file generated by metapost) should read

%%DocumentFonts: CMR8 CMR10

When that is changed, dvips applied to Untitled.dvi understands the font names in the input file correctly. There must be a metapost setting that controls this, but I don't know metapost.

Michael