[OS X TeX] Hyphen not available in gtamac optima

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 31 22:06:06 CET 2009

On Dec 31, 2009, at 9:12 AM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Nathan Paxton wrote:
>
>> 	When I run LaTeX on my file, I get the following warning. The visible result is that hyphens (for word breaks, in tables, and so forth) don't show up in my sans-serif sections. Is there any manner by which I can get hyphens?
>>
>>> pdfTeX warning: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file /usr/local/texlive/2009/../texmf-loc
>>> al/fonts/truetype/gtamacfonts/optima/OptimaBold.ttf): glyph `hyphen.alt' not fo
>>> und
>>

> There does seem to be a problem with the hyphen in T1 encoding in gtamac Optima. I see hyphens only if I use LY1 encoding.

In fact, the same problem affects all the gtamac fonts except in LY1 encoding.  T1 (which uses ec.enc for its encoding vector) defines hyphen as octal 045 and hyphen.alt as octal 177. As I understand it, the latter character is supposed to be used by microtype code for hyphens at ends of lines. Anyway, you don't see a character at position '177 in ec-raw-OptimaRegular, or any of the other gtamac ec-raw- tfm files. The virtual font ec-OptimaRegular in effect defines hyphen in all cases as hyphen.alt. It is of course possible to change this using vftovp, then vptovf after changing the mapping, but that would be a lot of work to change all the gtamac ec-xxx files in this way. Much better to use LY1.

Michael