[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility: strange error message

Maxwell, Adam R adam.maxwell at pnl.gov
Tue Dec 29 18:29:30 CET 2009

On 12/28/09 06:45, "Adam R. Maxwell" <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:09 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> On Dec 28, 2009, at 2:31 AM, Franck Pastor wrote:
>>
>>> Each time I make use of TeX Live Utility, it shows this error message at the
>>> end of the process (even when it seems to work well):
>>>
>>> 2009-12-28 09:27:06 +0100 Notice -[TLMOperation main][189] Standard error
>>> from `/usr/texbin/tlmgr --machine-readable --repository
>>> http://archive.cs.uu.nl/mirror/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet update --list`
>>> tlmgr: package repository
>>> http://archive.cs.uu.nl/mirror/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet

[...]
>> ``Standard error'' is just an output stream. This seems to just be a message
>> about what repostiroy is being used by tlmgr and is probably displayed only
>> when the -machine-readable option (used by TLU) is used. Don't think there is
>> anything to worry about.
>
> Yes, this is correct.  Informational and error messages are printed to stderr,
> and there's no way to discriminate between them (exit status isn't always
> useful) so I just log it.

The next version of TLU will log this instead, which hopefully will be less
confusing:

Successfully executed `/usr/texbin/tlmgr --machine-readable --repository
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet update --list`
tlmgr: package repository http://mirror.unl.edu/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet
tlmgr: no updates available