[OS X TeX] Chapter Index

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 17:46:07 CET 2009

On Dec 29, 2009, at 2:52 AM, Daniel Becker wrote:

> Am 29.12.2009 um 04:19 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> --- splitidx which, with "a small program, splitindex" can produce
>> several indexes. But it seems to me that these indexes must be at the
>> end of the book. The doc, though, explains that
>
> I use splitindex sometimes. Attached is a testfile (tex+pdf) that
> illustrates what it can do. When you use it, the easiest way is to
> run the command splitindex myfile.idx once before you run
> makeindex. Also attached is the TeXShop-Engine I am using for this.
> I guess there are also ways to configure latexmk such that it
> produces the various .idx- and .ind-files
>
> I think it could do what you want, but I don't know if your
> outdated TeX-Installation supports splitindex properly. In
> TeXLive2008 (updated) and 2009, splitindex is installed as it
> should. (The splitindex perl-script is found by running the command
> splitindex...)

 From the look I had at splitindex, it looks like splitindex would
split the index for Book according to categories, for example into
IndexFruit, IndexVegetable, etc but still for the whole Book.

What I would like, though, is different.  For each N,

--- I would like to have an index for just ChapterN. I assume "being
in ChapterN" could indeed be one of N categories but N = 18 and that
already seems to be a problem if one for which there might be a
workaround.

--- I would like to have the index for just ChapterN to be at the end
of Chapter N and that seems to be another problem. (The intended
audience is initially unlikely to use a huge, faraway index.)

Of course, at the end of Book, I would like still to have the huge,
faraway index for Book.

Grateful regards
--schremmer

P.S. Re. "outdated TeX-Installation" Yes, yes, ... and, in fact, I
might consider updating for the sake of ChapterN indexes.