[OS X TeX] A little help needed (math formula problem)

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Dec 19 15:46:18 CET 2009

There is general rule when typesetting mathematics that variables are set in italics and operators, especially commonly known operators, are set in normal font with a few exceptions which are mainly dictated by aesthetics and sometimes by historical conventions.

Linear operators are usually denoted by $A, B, \ldots$ and typeset in italics, the trace operator however looks best when it is abbreviated by the upright symbol tr such that trace of A is
$\tr (A)$ where \tr is defined as

\DeclareMathOperator{\tr}{tr}
(I am using the conventions of the AMS in case of doubt. Since I always use the classes amsart resp amsbook, I cannot distinguish between  generic Latex commands and those of AMS-Latex.)

The linear differential operator (partial derivative with respect to the real variable $x^k$ is usually denoted by $D_k$, i.e. both in italics and $D_ku$ looks fine to me. Similarly $Du$ for gradient of u is also alright, however, in $\grad u$ \grad should be defined by

\DeclareMathOperator{\grad}{grad}

The d in the symbol dx at the end of integral is not a linear operator, since dt is a symbol for an infinitesimal increment dt ~\varDelta t~ (t_2-t_1), and an upright d in this context is both illogical as well as silly looking. When there is no confusion I am usually omitting this increment in an integral such as in

$\int_\Omega f(x)$

Thus, when typesetting mathematics you should be guided by a few general rules, historical conventions, logic, and your own aesthetics, the latter, however, could be problematic in some cases.

Claus