[OS X TeX] Re: Font Help

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 16 07:40:53 CET 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 9:43 PM, R Martinez wrote:

> Thanks Herbert and Michael for the advice. The suggestions worked perfectly.
>
> I still have one question, however: In which directory are all the fonts stored?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Raul
>
> On Dec 14, 2009, at 9:54 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Dec 14, 2009, at 8:21 AM, R Martinez wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I want to use the Calligraphic font for some characters in my document. For example, I want to typeset the letter G in the Calligraphic font.
>>>
>>> But I can't tell if the Calligraphic font is part of the MacTeX package. (I have installed TexLive2009.) Peter Flynn's typeface sampler in http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/fontsampler/sampler.pdf appears to imply that Calligraphic is included in the TeXLive distribution.
>>>
>>> The MacTeX distribution documentation states that the package includes many fonts, but all I can find are the Latin Modern and TeXGyre fonts. Where are the others?
>>>
>>> I will appreciate any help on this matter. If Calligraphic is not included in the MacTeX distribution, I will especially appreciate advice on how to obtain it and install it.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Raul Martinez
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Try
>>
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{calligra}
>>
>> and then \textcalligra{Some Calligraphic Text} for short batches of calligraphic text and the command \calligra changes over to the calligraphic font (pace it inside a group to limit the effect).
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> [NB: The following is from Michael Sharpe]
>
> It depends on whether you want to use a calligraphic font as a text font, or just need for additional math symbols. In the latter case, \usepackage{mathrsfs} gives you the rsfs fonts, invoked with \mathscr rather than \mathcal. If you were looking for text fonts, check out the possibilities at
>
> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/calligraphicalfonts.html

I'm not sure that there's a good short answer to this question because the information needed to use a font in LaTeX is distributed over a number of locations. The fonts that are distributed with MacTeX 2009 are laid out more or less as follows:

(1) The physical font file (type1, truetype), as well as the tfm, vf, enc and map files  are in subfolders of /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts

(2) The documentation about the fonts is in a subfolder of /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/fonts

(3) The fd and sty files that describe the font usage to LaTeX are in subfolders of /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex

Mostly, you don't need to know these details. In a Terminal window, write 'texdoc calligra', 'texdoc rsfs' or whatever to bring up the documentation.

Michael