[OS X TeX] Mac BasicTeX2009 difficulties

Joachim Osnabryg osna at jpberlin.de
Tue Dec 15 20:45:09 CET 2009

This time, for reasons of disc space economy, I prefered not to migrate to
full MacTeX 2009, but rather installing the BacicTeX.dmg (2009)  from
http://www.tug.org/mactex/2009/morepackages.html  for then, whenever
necessary, install aditional LaTeX packages with tlmgr.

As Richard Koch writes in his paper "About BasicTeX-2009" from November 8,
2009:

"BasicTeX
contains tlmgr, the TeX Live Manager software introduced in TeX Live 2008,
which can
install additional packages over the network. So it will be easy for users
to add missing
packages if needed."

Because all the day I'm using a somewhat extraordinary LaTeX document
class (tufte-latex, handout and book), I expected having to install
additional packages after need, whenever in an error message is said
"cannot find xy.sty" or similar - and I did this already in about 10 cases.

But there must be some other principal problem, that inhibits properly
compiling of my (existing) .tex documents.

Perhaps someone who already use (or used) one of the BasicTeX installation
can help me.

The last part of the LaTeX protocol when trying to compile the tufte
sample-handout writes:

kpathsea: Running mktextfm pplr9d
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input pplr9d
This is METAFONT, Version 2.718281 (TeX Live 2009)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf pplr9d
! I can't find file `pplr9d'.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input pplr9d

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input pplr9d

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: pplr9d.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input
pplr9d' failed to make pplr9d.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font T1/pplj/m/n/10=pplr9d at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not
foun
d.
<to be read again>
                    relax
l.44 \begin{document}

? h
I wasn't able to read the size data for this font,
so I will ignore the font specification.
[Wizards can fix TFM files using TFtoPL/PLtoTF.]
You might try inserting a different font spec;
e.g., type `I\font<same font id>=<substitute font name>'.

?

But at this point, I don't know what to do.

I would appreciate very much, if someone can give me a hint.

I hope I understood well that most of the content of his paper "About
BasicTeX-2009" describes the method of compiling the appropriate
BacicTeX.dmg, not what I woul have to do myself after installing it, or
not?

Regards,
joachim
--
Mac BacicTeX 2009 - TeXShop 2.29 - LyX 1.6.5
MacBook Pro intel OSX 10.4.11 Tiger