[OS X TeX] multi cores

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Sun Dec 13 12:26:29 CET 2009

El 11/12/2009, a les 20:56, Peter Dyballa va escriure:

> Am 11.12.2009 um 18:25 schrieb George Gratzer:
>
>> Curious. Of the 8 cores on my core i7, typesetting only uses 4.
>
> Because TeXs not parallel.

According to Apple's Tech Specs page, for the 27" iMac there are,
besides the Core 2 Duo processors, the following two processor
configurations:

• 2.66GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache;
Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.2GHz
• 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache;
Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.46GHz; Hyper-Threading for up
to eight virtual cores

So it seems both processors have 4 real cores, and only when the
software is specially desgined they simulate 8 cores (and TeXShop
doesn't; or is it TeX itself ?). I'm not sure I am interpreting things
right, though.

Do you think there is no point (or no obvious advantage) in buying the
i7 version ? I am trying to make up my mind beween the i5 and the i7
versions.

Thanks for any hint.

JMaF