[OS X TeX] Turn off hyphenation of toc and titles

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 15:53:34 CET 2009

On Dec 11, 2009, at 10:24 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 4:52 PM -0800 12/11/09, Gilberto wrote:
>> Dear list:
>>
>> Could anyone please help? I imagine it should be possible to ask
>> LaTeX to turn off hyphenation in the TOC and headings only
>> (allowing it in the rest of the document). If so, what should I do
>> (I had no luck googling).
>

> Not hyphenating  this will result in overfull lines, so you would
> need to set the titles raggedright.   I'm not sure I would actually
> recommend this.
>
> However, it can be done easily with the titlesec package:
>
> \usepackage[raggedright]{titlesec}
>
> For the table of contents, the titletoc package provides the
> relevant functionality, but for this particular task (assuming you
> don't want to redefine everything) the tocloft pacakge provides a
> simpler interface:
>
> \usepackage{tocloft}

Being a (very) curious beast, I of course looked up tocloft even
though I finally achieved an uneasy (*) peace with titletoc (an
independent part of titlesec).

The doc of Titlesec / titletoc warns that " it should be clear that
this is not a package for the casual user" p22.

By contrast, the documentation of tocloft seems to be a lot easier to
read: I think even I could follow it.

Regards
--schremmer

(*) I was never able to right-justify the chapter toc's to the right
margin.