[OS X TeX] 64-bit binaries in TeXLive 2010

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Dec 5 19:43:19 CET 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Michael Hanson wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>>> ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi
>>>
>>> If you see "EFI64", then your Mac supports the 64-bit kernel; otherwise it does not.  Again, any Mac with a 64-bit processor should still be able to run 64-bit applications under OS X 10.5 or 10.6, regardless of whether the kernel is 32- or 64-bit.
>>
>> My MacBook Pro has EFI64, but won't boot the 64-bit kernel.  This doesn't bother me, but it confuses the issue a bit more.
>>
>> http://lists.apple.com/archives/darwin-dev/2009/Aug/msg00217.html
>

> Thanks for that refinement.  Apparently a necessary but not sufficient condition...?
>
> Best,
> Mike

Howdy,

One of the items in that thread said that the 64bit kernel was only the default on the XServe.

How do you tell whether the 64bit kernel is active or not and how do you activate it, if possible, on a given system? Is it really worth it? Oh... I've got a MacBook Pro 3.1.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)