[OS X TeX] 64-bit binaries in TeXLive 2010

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 03:52:57 CET 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> Since the speed improvement of the 64-bit binaries is clearly
> noticeable, e.g., using Flashmode, let me suggest to include OS X
> 64-bit binaries in TL 2010 as a standard option known by install-tl
> as well as by texlive manager.
>
> To relieve the burden of compiling additional binaries from Richard
> Koch let me also suggest, at least tentatively, that the TeXLive
> support  for ppc should be frozen to TL 2009. The PowerPCs which
> are still in use are clearly outdated by any measure and there is
> no point to develop software for machines and OS that are a few
> generations behind, especially since TL 2009 should be more than
> sufficient for texing.
>
> This is a realistic view and those who are still using a PPC let me
> advice, if you ever had tried a new IntelMac you wouldn't want to
> switch back to your PPC.

You are absolutely correct. And I wouldn't want to go back to the Mac
256 either.

And I don't see why there is even support for the PPC in TL 2009---at
least as long as TL 2008 is still available somewhere.  (As for
myself, I plan on remaining with GWTeX for a while longer as I rarely
compile the whole book and only the chapter I am working on.)

Regards
--schremmer