[OS X TeX] footbib

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 1 21:17:20 CET 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Anna Mette Hansen wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I have a problem with TexShop and I was hoping to find some help here.
>> My version of TExShop is 2.28. I am using achemso as my bibtex style and
>> footbib to have the refs at the bottom of the page. When I latex my document
>> it generates all the aux files needed. When I bibtex my document it says
>> that the aux file is empty - but the file I need to generate the refs are in
>> the fb.aux file. How do I tell TexShop to look in that file instead of the
>> aux file ??
>> Does this at all make sense?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Anna
>
> Howdy,
>
> First a bit of a warning... The footbib package hasn't been updated since 2004 while the output routine used by LaTeX has changed when it as been updated. Since footbib changes the output routine (always a touchy thing to do but necessary to do what it wants to do) it also checks to see the version of LaTeX and then complains and halts processing until you press return each time (pdf)latex runs. While it seems to work properly my normal automation process using latexmk doesn't work because of that forced error pause; if I comment out the generation of the error message I can get it to work with a custom dependency and rule added to latexmk. I can supply you with the updated files and instruction for use if you wish. Of course I don't know what is happening to the output routine and worry when I get messages like that.
>
> Some choices...
>
> You can make a custom engine that mechanically does the necessary runs of (pdf)latex and bibtex for your particular paper. If that's the way you wish to go let us know I'm sure several folks here can help you out.
>
> I don't know if it supports the achemso style (it uses its own files rather than bst files) but take a look at biblatex. It is still considered experimental by its authors but it is very stable. Because it is still ``experimental'' it is not yet a part of MacTeX(TeX Live) so must be downloaded and installed from CTAN. Check CTAN ad see if there is an achemso style file already created for it.
>
> Hope this is somewhat useful.
>
> By the way, are you intending to use pdflatex or latex->dvips->ps2pdf for processing you document?
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Sorry to answer myself but I just checked and there does seem to a biblatex style for the ACS which I assume is what achemso is all about. See <http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=biblatex> for the biblatex package and <http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/exptl/biblatex-contrib/biblatex-chem/> for the chemistry journal styles.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)