[OS X TeX] Apple PDF viewer bugs on this shading

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 1 02:30:39 CET 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:25 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Nov 30, 2009, at 07:02 , Alain Matthes wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> 1) first with pdflatex and texshop
>> The file above compiles without problem but TexShop
>> displays a bad result but adobe reader gives a fine result.
>> The result is bad with Preview.
>>
>> 2) With dvi-ps-pdf Texshop displays a "good" result, only good
>> if you can compare the pdfs.
>
> Just curious: what do you mean by this last comment?
>
> Also, FWIW, this comment appears in the description of \pgfdeclarefunctionalshading:
> Warning: These shadings are the least portable of all and they put the heaviest burden of the renderer.  They are slow and, possibly, will not print correctly!
>
> Justin

Howdy,

Assuming that Alain is seeing the same thing I see using OS X 10.6.2 and compiling with pdflatex any viewer that uses PDFKit (TeXShop's viewer, Preview, Safari, Skim) shows the shading incorrectly while Adobe Reader and TeXworks viewer show it correctly. If you compile the same file using latex->dvips->ps2pdf all viewers show the file correctly.

I've tried this with MacTeX(TeX Live)-2008 and -2009 with the same result. Ross Moore is using 10.4.11 and isn't seeing the problem. I haven't seen reports on 10.5.8 yet but it appears to be system dependent so I'm assuming that PDFKit has a problem under OS X 10.6.2.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)