[OS X TeX] Changing default script in TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 1 01:11:27 CET 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:47 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I was experimenting with different settings for the default script in the Prefs window for TeXShop, and noticed that the setting doesn't seem to "take" until I restart TeXSHop.  Is this expected?  Something peculiar to my system?
>
> I'm using Version 2.28 (2.28) on Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Dual Quad Xeon Mac Pro).
>
> Thanks, as always.
>
> Justin
>
> --
> Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
> Director
> Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income
> --------
> "Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.
> Well, except the weasel."
>      - Homer J Simpson
> --------

Howdy,

That appears to be the case. Not only that, even if the default is changed to TeX+DVI the Typeset Menu sill shows Pdftex checked and changes only when you compile the first file.

I never noticed this before because I use different engines/scripts for different purposes using the

% !TEX TS-program = xxxxxx

line at the beginning of the file. I set xxxxxx to latex for latex->dvips->ps2pdf (TeX+DVI) processing, pdflatex for pdflatex processing, xelatex for xelatex processing and often use latexmk, pdflatexmk or xelatexmk engines (see the documentation on how to enable and use these engines in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/ [where ~ is your HOME directory]) when there are cross-references, bibliography and/or index lists.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)