[OS X TeX] TeX on Snow Leopard

Peter Vamos P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk
Mon Aug 31 15:17:35 CEST 2009

At 11:49 +0100 31/8/09, Luis Sequeira wrote:

>Most people seem to use the bash shell, which is the default. A
>similar operation can be done for it, although the syntax is
>different. Create a .bashrc file (if you don't have it already) and
>put inside it a line containing
>"export PATH=/usr/texbin:$PATH".

This is _not_ the recommended method. (Snow)
Leopard uses the utility path_helper to produce
your PATH by concatenating the individual pieces
(files) from the /etc/paths.d directory.
Similarly for the man PATH from  /etc/manpaths.d
To alter or add to your PATH follow the
instructions given by R Koch in an earlier
message in this thread.

Alternatively, if you have BBEdit (maybe the free
TextWrangler will also do) there is a simpler
way. This is what I did. In Terminal do:

cd /etc/paths.d    (this will take you to this directory)
touch TeX   (this will create an empty file named
TeX, unless this already exists)
bbedit TeX (this will open this file in BBEdit)
type /usr/texbin
close this file
logout and login again and test your PATH by typing echo $PATH in terminal.

Peter