[OS X TeX] TeX on Snow Leopard

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 18:23:07 CEST 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2009, at 9:34 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> On Aug 29, 2009, at 9:37 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>>
>>> I installed Snow Leopard yesterday
>>
>> Given that my "policy" is to remain one system behind---er, right
>> now, I am running TeXShop 2.18-svn (2.18) with gwtex under
>> 10.4.11---I am facing an extremely delicate question: does the
>> Snow count as a new system and should I thus move to 10.5.7 and
>> MacTeX-2008?
>>
>> Or is it conceivable that I should wait until MacTeX-2009 is
>> finished testing and get it over with then? Makes me shudder, but
>> just about any excuse for putting off any updating of anything
>> would be quite welcome---and then there is always the chance that
>> I will drop dead before the fateful day.
>>
>> Hopeful regards
>> --schremmer
>

> Howdy,
>
> Hmmm... depends on how you count.

That's what I thought. What's Snow? 10.5.9?

> I seem to remember that you're using a G5 system

What a memory!

> so OS X 10.5.8 (maybe some more updates will be coming?) will be as
> far as you can go; OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is Intel only.

Saved! I am saved! At least for a good long time.

> On the other hand you should update since future software may be
> for 10.5+ only.

Well yeah, but there is always that truck that may run me over before
that.

> Best advice on updating is to always make a bootable backup of my
> complete system in case there are problems; I use the shareware
> SuperDuper! (it's worth the ~$28 to get the update features) but
> Carbon Copy Cloner (contribution requested) can be used too. A nice
> big external hard drive is fairly cheap and it can be partitioned
> so you can keep a permanent 10.4.11 backup and use a different
> partition for new updates.

I do make bootable backups on a 900 GigaB external with Carbon Copy
Cloner—and I think I did send in my contribution but I have to check.
So that should not be a problem although I forgot to partition the
external.

> As far as MacTeX is concerned... you can install MacTeX-2008

Would you believe I did install TeXLive-2008 and TeXLive-2008-Basic
together with the TeX Distribution System Preference Pane and
actually used both? But then I ran into the "can't write onto aux
file" problem I had already run into once but had forgotten how to
cure it via the unmentionable. So, I happily reverted to good old GwTeX.

> and then MacTeX-2009 when it comes out; you can easily get back the
> ~1GB for MacTeX-2008 once you are comfortable with 2009. Both can
> live happily together using the TeX Distribution System Preference
> Pane to choose the active distribution.
>
> You should also update to the latest TeXShop (presently 2.26 but a
> new version will come out with MacTeX-2009).

Yes, I know. But, as they say, as long as it runs, don't fix it. So,
maybe, when I am done with Reasonable Rational Functions (getting
close) and with transferring the ancillaries of Reasonable Basic
Algebra to the new system (ditto), I will get drunk, take a very deep
breath and damn that truck for not showing up in time.

Grateful regards
--schremmer