[OS X TeX] Combining PSTricks and Metapost

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Sat Aug 29 06:36:46 CEST 2009

All,

We have developed a testing system that serves up quizzes to our
students on-the-fly. Our database contains both Metapost code and
PSTricks code in some instances, so we are currently compiling with
the attached script: OTlatex.pl.

I've also provided a sample file, fonttest.tex. You can run the script
by first making it executable with chmod +x OTlatex.pl and executing:

./OTlatex.pl fonttest

on the attached fonttest.tex.

This perl script essentially runs the following commands in this order:

1. latex --shell-escape fonttest.tex

2. dvips -o fonttest-pics.ps fonttest.dvi

3. ps2pdf -dAutoRotatePages=/None fonttest-pics.ps fonttest-pics.pdf

4. pdflatex tonttest.tex

Using Mactex (Texlive 2008), after running steps 1, 2, and 3 above,
the result is the attached file fonttest-pics.pdf. The difficulty is
the fact that the wrong font is used and the minus sign is missing.
Interesting enough, after executing the 4th step, the attached
fonttest.pdf use the correct font and the minus sign appears.
Curiously enough, at step 2, we get the following log:

' TeX output 2009.08.28:2051' -> fonttest-pics.ps
dvips: Font cmsy10 used in file fonttest.1 is not in the mapping file.
dvips: Font cmr10 used in file fonttest.1 is not in the mapping file.
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/dvips/base/tex.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/dvips/pstricks/pstricks.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/dvips/pstricks/pst-algparser.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/dvips/pstricks/pst-dots.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/dvips/pst-bar/pst-bar.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/dvips/pstricks/pst-node.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/dvips/pstricks-add/pstricks-add.pro>
</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/dvips/base/special.pro>. [1<./fonttest.
1>]

The following two lines are of concern:

dvips: Font cmsy10 used in file fonttest.1 is not in the mapping file.
dvips: Font cmr10 used in file fonttest.1 is not in the mapping file.

Even more curious, although fonttest-pics.pdf does not display the
correct font and the minus sigh is missing, Acrobat reports that the
fonts CMR10 and CMSY10 are partially embedded.