[OS X TeX] synctex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Aug 26 20:58:14 CEST 2009

On Aug 26, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> Not quite so simple...
>>
>> You must have MacTeX-2008 (or later) and some preferences in
>> TeXShop 2.26 (or later) have to be changed: in TeXShop->Preferences-
>> >Engine you basically need to change the pdfTeX and TeX+dvips
>> +distiller options to
>>
>> pdfTeX->Tex: pdftex --shell-escape --synctex=1
>> pdfTeX->Latex: pdflatex --shell-escape --synctex=1
>> TeX+dvips+distiller->Tex: simpdftex etex --extratexopts "-synctex=1"
>> TeX+dvips+distiller->Latex: simpdftex latex --extratexopts "-
>> synctex=1"
>>
>> which tells the engine to produce a jobname.synctex.gz file that
>> contains all the synchronization information.
>
> Could you elaborate on the need for these settings? Mine are missing
> the synctex=1 portions but even so, I do get synchronization using
> synctex only and I do create a jobname.synctex.gz. Having said that,
> I'm also encountering syncing problems which some times seem to
> resolve by restarting texshop.
>
> My dvips settings also look different but I only use pdflatex.
>
> Themis

Howdy,

If the jobname.synctex.gz files are being created there must be a --
synctex=1 somewhere when you compile; I don't believe that's the
default behavior of pdftex or that TeXShop is automatically adding
that option. If all you use is, e.g., pdflatex then the only one that
need that needs that option set is the pdflatex one.

Are you using MacTeX-2009 ptr-test and not using the pre-release
TeXShop 2.28 (that came later MacTeX-2009 pre-test)?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)