[OS X TeX] TeXShop & Aspell --was: Problem with aspell

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Aug 7 07:47:25 CEST 2009

On  4 Aug, 2009, at 10:27, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Absolutely! Excalibur and cocoAspell (which uses aspell) can be
> programmed to skip over commands and arguments (e.g., column
> specifiers for a tabular environment) that are meaningless.

A funny and *fortunate* thing has happened to me with TeXShop and
Aspell.

A long time ago I installed CocoAspell, but I couldn't make it work or
didn't know how, and just forgot about it. Some system upgrades and
migration from a PowerBook to a MacBook should have wiped it out
completely from my machine (I don't have the control panel, etc.)...,
or so I thought.

Now ---I didn't understand why TeXShop was the only application that
*always* had Spanish as default spelling checker language, no matter
what language Spelling and Grammar had in other applications. For
example, right now Spelling and Grammar is set to English in Mail; if
I open BBEdit, spelling is set to English as well. Now I can close
BBEdit, change spelling within Mail to Spanish, reopen BBEdit, and now
it has Spanish as spelling language.

But not TeXShop ---it always uses Spanish, which for me, as I said, is
very fortunate, because all my TeX works are in Spanish. I didn't
understand what was happening, but was very happy about it.

Then it occurred to me to check TeXShop.plist, and this is what it has:

NSPreferredSpellServerLanguage    es

NSPreferredSpellServerVendors
en                                Apple
es                                Apple
fr                                Apple
Spanish                           Aspell

So I checked and, indeed, I have a cocoAspell folder in /Library/
Application Support, with English and Spanish dictionaries;
cocoAspell.service in ~Library/Services, and es.conf in ~Library/
Preferences/cocoAspell (all with August 2005 as modification date).

Now, just to be clear, within TeXShop spelling is *always* set to
``Español'', *not* ``Español (Aspell)''.

I have made a backup of TeXShop.plist, because I'm very happy with
these settings.

Best,

Axel