[OS X TeX] Problem with aspell

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 4 16:11:10 CEST 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 6:36 AM, Matthias Damm wrote:

> The trick is (IIRC, please check the archive of this list if this
> doesn't work, I probably wrote about it already) to remove the
> Receipt file from the installer (/Library/Receipts/aspell.pkg).
> After that, you can re-install the Intel version and it will
> actually install the update.

Howdy,

I ran into the same problem and the author suggested I remove the
Spelling.pkg, aspell.pkg and AspellEnglishDictionary.pkg receipts
from /Library/Receipts/ before installing the Intel version of
cocoAspell 2.0.4. It appears that I do, in fact, have the Intel
versions of the preference pane and aspell installed but, unlike
others that have had success with this method, I still can't get it to
find spelling errors. (Yes, I did choose the proper dictionary, etc.,
in the Show Spelling and Grammar (Cmd-:) pane in TeXShop [it's
universal so once you set it there all applications will use---maybe
not so smart].

At one time I used Excalibur, which works very well, but opening
another application, even with a macro, doesn't feel right.

I've finally resorted to using Apple's spell checker and save command
names, etc., that come up. After a bit of use it is getting pretty
good at skipping over command names, etc., but it will never be perfect.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)