[OS X TeX] Left Justified Symbol

Christopher Allen Christopher.T.Allen.95 at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG
Mon Apr 27 20:39:40 CEST 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Lee Witt wrote:

> Are you thinking of using \hphantom{\blacktriangleright} after the
> second hfill?

That's exactly what I was thinking. However, now that I try it out, it
seems that does not quite do it. Ah, got it:

On Apr 27, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Rose Charlie wrote:

> Very slick, and it does *almost* exactly what I need ... what's
> lacking is that it's not in the "equation" environment so no
> equation number is generated. And, being the LaTeX amateur that I
> am, I don't know how to produce that myself. I *will* try to figure
> it out, though.

If you start with fleqn, this will work:

\begin{equation}
\blacktriangleright\hfill Equation\hfill\hphantom{\blacktriangleright\ }
\end{equation}

However, your later non-triangled equations will need to be

\begin{equation}
\hfill Equation\hfill
\end{equation}

to fix the problems fleqn causes for you. That seems ugly to me
because that's a lot of \hfill commands used to replace the centering
that can be done by leaving out fleqn. However, when leaving out
fleqn, equation doesn't seem to see the whole page when evaluating its
size, so \hfill doesn't do its job.

Chris