[OS X TeX] TeXShop---don't raise preview when using external editor

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Sat Apr 18 04:38:17 CEST 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 5:45 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> Adam M. Goldstein schreef:
>> I use an external editor and use TS for my viewer. I use the
>> typesetting commands in the external editor (Emacs.app). Focus shifts
>> to TS, but I would usually like to keep focus on the editor. I have
>> the typesetting preferences set to "after typesetting--continue
>> editing." It looks like this only really works when using the TS
>> editor (I mean, keeps focus on the editor). Is there any way I can
>> prevent the TS preview from getting the focus/getting raised?
>
> I use Skim as a previewer, and it exhibits the behaviour you want.
> If the
> preview is hidden behind other windows, it will come to a level just
> behind your editing window, but other than that you can continue
> editing.
>
> Is there a specific reason to use TeXShop as a previewer?

TS is simpler; all I do is use it for viewing the results of LaTeX
runs. I use Skim for everything else having to do with PDF's,
especially reading with the reading bar, commenting, etc. It's partly
because I am confused about how to use Spaces correctly. I have Skim
in its own space, taking up the full screen, and that's where the
PDF's being read, annotated, or used in slide shows are. Then I have
the editor window and TS open next to another in another space. I
haven't figured out a really good way of having windows from one
application open in multiple spaces without generating weird behavior
(don't ask me what they are just now, but I know strange things happen
when switching among windows).

Also, Adam Maxwell scared me into thinking that Skim's automatic
update might cause problems . . . it's not clear that TS doesn't have
the same kind of design flaw when using external editors, though.
Granted, I've never had a problem with either app's automatic update.

There is one other reason, I am embarrassed to say, which is purely
sentimental. I wrote my dissertation using TS and I miss seeing the
icon there in the dock and the familiar interface. Since moving to
Emacs.app, I will probably never go back to the TS editor, though.

Maybe this is more than anyone wanted to know, but there it is.

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
agoldstein at iona.edu
a.m.goldstein at mac.com