[OS X TeX] Can't compile - pdflatex issue

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Sun Apr 12 18:58:05 CEST 2009

On Apr 11, 2009, at 10:38 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:
>
>> Have you tried Richard Koch's advice of typesetting your sample
>> document with TeXShop? As he said, that's in no way an endorsement
>> to TeXShop, nor a recommendation for its use ---the only thing is
>> that TeXShop looks into /usr/texbin for the binaries, no matter
>> what Fink or other distribution has put in your .bash_profile
>> or .profile; therefore, debugging would be easier.
>
> Reading this thread and aware that I had downloaded Fink for some
> obscure, now forgotten reason, I was wondering why I didn't have the
> problem.
>
> Now I know.
>
> Boy am I glad that TeXShop happened my way and that this was the one
> thing I have never even thought of switching from.
>
> So, for one, I sure am endorsing TeXShop. With both hands and
> whatever else.

But... TeXShop is completely unrelated. TeXShop is "just" the editor
of the TeX file that is compiled by tex/pdftex/pdflatex/luatex, etc.
Those programs can be installed by the MacTeX distribution, fink,
darwinports, etc.

Likewise, you could use a different email application to access email.
The email application is your "portal" into the email delivery system.
It is not the same as the delivery system. You could very well access
your mail using webmail, apple mail, outlook, etc., and it's still
email, not a phone call.

I thought by now you understood that you can use different editors,
but the process of turning the tex file into the PDF file is done by
other programs (specifically, we're both using /usr/texbin/pdflatex,
even though I may be using a different editor).
Joe