[OS X TeX] Can't compile - pdflatex issue

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Sun Apr 12 00:14:41 CEST 2009

On 11 Apr 2009, at 21:37, Tim Poitras wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running the MacTex 2008 distribution on my Macbook Pro, and it
> just won't compile.
>
> When I try to compile a .tex file using pdflatex, I get this error:
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libpng12.0.dylib
> Referenced from: /usr/bin/pdflatex
> Reason: image not found
> Trace/BPT trap

MacTeX does not install pdflatex (or anything else) into /usr/bin. You
apparently have [remnants of] a TeX installation from Fink, and
binaries from this (or perhaps symlinks to such binaries) are being
found in /usr/bin in preference to the MacTeX 2008 binaries which
should be located at /usr/texbin. But the Fink setup is incomplete, so
it fails to actually run.

Modifying your $PATH so that /usr/texbin occurs *before* /usr/bin
would probably solve this, but given that your Fink TeX package seems
to be broken, it would probably be best to eliminate it completely.

I don't know how this stuff got installed on your system, so I'm not
sure how best to remove it; perhaps there are Fink users here who can
advise about this.

JK