[OS X TeX] tlmgr gui under non-admin account

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 18 00:45:31 CEST 2008

On 17 sep 2008, at 23:28, Alex Hamann wrote:

> was anybody successful in running the tlmgr gui with admin
> authorisation coming from a non-admin account?
> My setup is: Basic MacTex 2008 running on a non-Admin account.
> Starting tlmgr from terminal without works. But without admin
> authorisation I can not install any packages.
> running:
> 	su admin
> 	sudo tlmgr --gui
> results in
> 	perl/Tk unusable, cannot create main windows.
> 	That could be a consequence of not having X Windows installed or
> started!
> 	Error message from creating MainWindow:
> 	  couldn't connect to display ":0" at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-
> thread-multi-2level/Tk/MainWindow.pm line 55.
> 	Tk::MainWindow->new() at /usr/local/texlive/2008basic/texmf/scripts/
> texlive/tlmgrgui/tlmgrgui.pl line 61
> Still, using tlmgr from command line seems to work fine.
>
> Any ideas?

disable access control to X11: xhost + will give a blanket license to
connect to the x-server running on your computer (it is possible to
use a more fine-tuned control, but this is sure to work).

then start tlmgr --gui

when you're finished it is probably best to enable access control with
xhost -

Maarten