[OS X TeX] Acrotex

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 17 07:39:00 CEST 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 8:38 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Jens, and others.
>
> On 17/09/2008, at 12:20 PM, Jens Noeckel wrote:
>

>>> Is this not correct? Does AcroTeX itself (i.e. the eDucation Bundle
>>> which corresponds to acrotex on CTAN) require Acrobat?
>>>

>> Fortunately, AcroTeX doesn't need Acrobat. It allows to insert
>> document-level JavaScript for interactive features (that's used in
>> testing answers in quizzes etc.), and that works perfectly well
>> with Adobe Reader. Neither Preview nor Skim can handle JavaScript,
>> so it's probably accurate to say that AcroTeX requires Adobe Reader.
>
> It doesn't need AR to *create* perfectly good PDFs having
> embedded JavaScript functions and button controls, etc.
>
> That Skim and Preview do not support these things is a deficiency
> within those browsers, that has nothing to do with AcroTeX itself.
> This is most unfortunate in that these browsers have other good
> features, making them desirable to use on a Mac.
>
> Basically, there is not yet a PDF browser (on the Mac) that
> does *everything* that one would like.
> (I'm deliberately leaving this last statement vague and ill-defined.)
>

>> I don't know anything about the commercial version...
>
>    Of what?  AcroTeX ?

Right, there are so many incarnations. I was referring to
http://www.acrotex.net/apb_index.php?page=downloads

But then there is also some stuff that's called "Pro" and yet free -
and that's what Victor seems to be asking about.

I can only speak about the pure AcroTeX - in particular exerquiz is a
brilliant package for math oriented questions, allowing almost free-
form algebra questions (and answers containing variables!) that can
be checked automatically.