[OS X TeX] MacTeX 2008: Can't find base packages

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Sep 13 20:45:04 CEST 2008

I installed MacTeX2008 and have a strange problem. I did the
installation without any problems and also already did several updates
with tlmgr-gui. Most of my stufff compiles just fine, but today I
tried the following minimal document which to my surprise didn't

According to both pdflatex and kpsewhich, basic document classes like
article.cls and book.cls are not here. The document compiles if I
change 'book' to 'scrbook' (and kpsewhich gives me the following
path: /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/koma-script/
scrbook.cls. So most packages are actually there, but for some strange
reason the base packages are not present.

Any Ideas?

Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50
8002 Zürich

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

„I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as is
generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also be
thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better job
on the wings.“ Stanley Kubrick