[OS X TeX] PDF display problem

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Tue Sep 9 18:08:26 CEST 2008

The latest version of the fancytooltips package from TL contains
graphics files in
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fancytooltips/. (I believe
they were missing originally from TL).

I'm wondering if anybody can cast any light on the reason I may not be
able to display the pdf version of the graphic correctly. Somebody
kindly sent me a fresh copy as I thought my copy must have become
corrupted somehow but the copies are identical.

As a work around, I've converted the eps version of the image using
epstopdf and that displays as expected. I'd like to get to the bottom
of the problem I'm seeing with the original pdf version, though.

Problem occurs in both TeXShop and Preview (and Finder). This is on OS
X 10.4.11 PPC. The file command reports the PDF version as 1.4 for both
the original and the converted images. The converted version I produced
is bigger than the original but I'm not sure this is relevant since the
original evidently displays just fine for other people.

Thanks,
cfr