[OS X TeX] Context on TeXshop

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Sep 8 11:20:52 CEST 2008

On Sep 7, 2008, at 6:17 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:

> Is it advisable to run tlmgr regularly to update everything?

No. I'd do it upon receiving notice that a faulty package was fixed.
Or that a newer than installed package is needed by a (previously
updated) package *I* need.

Installing updates puts you in a tester role. Before performing an
update I'd try to read its description.

> What is the intended relationship between ongoing updates via tlmgr
> and
> the more-or-less annual release cycle? For example, if one updates
> everything regularly, will a TL 2008 tree gradually evolve into a TL
> 2009 tree? Or are there some fundamental elements which will be
> updated
> only by a YYYY release?

Old packages can be removed, new packages can be integrated, package
ingredients can be moved to other (faulty) places. The latter
happened for example in XeTeX. Those who updated XeTeX from SVN have
in TL2007 still an obsolete XeTeX url.sty; XeTeX-reference.pdf,
xunicode.sty, and xltxtra.sty will exist twice – who can guarantee
that the last installed version is found and used?

Anyway, it can happen that with an improved tlmgr, than can add and
delete, a TeX Live <year> release will be just a snapshot from an
ongoing process.

--
Greetings

   Pete

No project was ever completed on time and within budget.
				– Cheops Law