[OS X TeX] Curious xelatex font problem

Reinaert Albrecht pacasals at wol.be
Sun Sep 7 07:23:36 CEST 2008

On 06-09-2008 23:49:25 +0100, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2008, at 11:33 PM, Reinaert Albrecht wrote:
>
>>> What does "locate xdvipdfmx" show?
>>>

>> It shows the exact same thing in both the working gnu screen and the
>> not
>> working macosx screen.
>
> I'd expect that, but I wondered exactly *what* it showed -- thinking it
> might reveal where stray binaries are lurking. However, the failure is
> apparently in xetex itself rather than the output driver.

This is what it shows.

/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/tex/texlive_base/files/patch-texk_xdvipdfmx_src_tt_cmap_c
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/tex/xdvipdfmx
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/tex/xdvipdfmx/Portfile
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/tex/xdvipdfmx/files
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/tex/xdvipdfmx/files/patch-src-pdfobj.c
/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-darwin/xdvipdfmx
/usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/powerpc-darwin/xdvipdfmx
/usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/xdvipdfmx
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pstricks/xdvipdfmx.con

>> Btw: the output i get i macosx screen is:
>>
>> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>
> This is clearly MacTeX 2007; it's definitely worth upgrading to 2008, as
> there have been significant bugs fixed (as well as new features
> introduced) in the meantime.

Well, as a sidenote I noticed that the mactex 2008 version on latex works
almost half as fast as the 2007 version. Would that have something to do with
the universal binary format that the 2008-version uses?

> However, that doesn't seem to explain the current problem.
>
>> ! Font \zf at basefont="Baar Metanoia" at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
>> (TFM) file o
>> r installed font not found.
>> \zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
>>                                                  \unless \ifzf at icu
>> \zf at set@...
>> l.3 \setmainfont{Baar Metanoia}
>>
>> ? ^D
>> ! Emergency stop.
>> \zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
>>                                                  \unless \ifzf at icu
>> \zf at set@...
>> l.3 \setmainfont{Baar Metanoia}
>>
>> No pages of output.
>> Transcript written on bu.log.
>> zsh: exit 1     xelatex bu
>
> This is interesting: you're apparently running zsh as your shell, which
> is an unusual choice. I don't know why that would matter, but could you
> change your default shell in Terminal to /bin/bash and see if that makes
> any difference?

I like zsh ;)
Sorry, I failed to mention that I did try Bash but with the exact same
results.