[OS X TeX] xelatexmk and fontspec

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Sep 7 03:18:02 CEST 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 8:00 PM, Sam Cox wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Sep 6, 2008, at 4:41 PM, Sam Cox wrote:
>>
>>> With the five lines beginning with \usepackage{fontspec}
>>> commented, my file (attached) processes fine.
>>> <cv-test.tex>
>>>
>>> When they are not commented, the process ends without making pdf
>>> output.  It gives this message:
>>>
>>> Latexmk: Found bibliography file(s) [/Users/samcox/Library/texmf/
>>> bibtex/bib/unified.bib]
>>> Latexmk: Found bibliography file(s) [/Users/samcox/Library/texmf/
>>> bibtex/bib/unified.bib]
>>> Latexmk: Did not finish processing file: 'pdflatex' did not make
>>> 'cv-test.pdf'
>>> Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing.
>>> Latexmk: Errors, so I did not complete making targets
>> Howdy,
>>
>> The fontspec package is only for use with xelatex. In the second
>> case you are trying to use pdflatex to compile that file so
>> fontspec is complaining.
>>
>> As far as the first part is concerned, it sounds like there was
>> some sort of error in the first processing. First try to delete
>> the .aux file to clean things up and try again. What does the log
>> file produced by xelatex say?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)
> I deleted all the files, re-ran the first case (first line = %!TEX
> TS-program = xelatexmk), and got the same behavior - it ends w/o
> making a pdf.  I am attaching the log file produced by xelatex.
>
> Sam

Howdy,

At first glance it appears that you are using an AAT font so you must
use the xdv2pdf driver since xdvipdfmx doesn't support that Apple only
technology.

There may be an appropriate engine file that is presently inactive
found in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/XeTeX/ called xelatex-
xdv2pdf.engine. Move that file up two directories to ~/Library/TeXShop/
Engines/ and use that engine via

%%!TEX TS-program = xelatex-xdv2pdf

at the start of the file. If you are using TeXShop 2.18 and that
engine file isn't where I said it was remove the ~/Library/TeXShop/
Engines/ folder and restart TeXShop to recreate that folder with the
latest contents. You can then move any additional engine files back
into the new folder.

Hope this helps.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)