[OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Fri Sep 5 09:29:14 CEST 2008

Le 5 sept. 08 à 02:13, Dr. Clea F. Rees a écrit :

> But the installation has gone wrong and I'm not sure what to do. At
> present, my older version of Perl/Tk is installed but I also have the
> temporary files listed above in /Library/Perl. (Note: not in
> subdirectories of /Library/Perl.)

Coming late in the game: one more thing should be noted if you have a

The standard installation procedure, as documented at <http://www.lehigh.edu/~sol0/Macintosh/X/ptk/
 >, installs the 5 executable scripts in /usr/bin; MacTeX-2008, by
contrast, installs these scripts in /usr/local/bin. Normally /usr/bin
comes before /usr/local/bin in PATH. Hence, unless manually removed by
you, the previous version of the scripts in /usr/bin will take
precedence over those installed by MacTeX in /usr/local/bin.

Why does MacTeX do that? I plead guilty for this. Initially the Perl/
Tk install package prepared by Dick Koch installed everything exactly
as the standard installation procedure, namely scripts in /usr/bin.
Dick's idea was precisely that people would get exactly the same as
with the standard install, for compatibility purposes. I asked that /
usr/local/bin was used instead, since on the Mac /usr/bin is normally
reserved for OS components and local additions are normally put
elsewhere (generally /usr/local/bin, or /opt/local/bin for MacPorts
and /sw/bin for Fink). That change was finally accepted and Dick
modified his installer accordingly.

To be honest, I did not suspect that Perl/Tk was so widely used that
there could be OS X users having already installed it (before
installing MacTeX, I mean). I hope this does not cause too much
inconvenience.

Bruno Voisin