[OS X TeX] TeXLive2008's iso image

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Thu Sep 4 16:56:27 CEST 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 10:35 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 4 sept. 08 à 16:10, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>
>> In MacTeX 2008 I found:
>>
>> 	/usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/installer/lzma/lzma.universal-darwin
>> 	/usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/installer/lzma/lzmadec.universal-
>> darwin
>
> OK. I imagine that's used by tlmgr (TeX Live Manager) behind the
> scene to update and install additional packages.
>
>> The installation of TeX Live works via scripts and supporting
>> utilities and data files. To me it's only natural to assume that
>> the installer will have all it needs to install TeX Live on a disk
>> from a disk image.
>
> Unless I've misunderstood something, there's still something of a
> paradox here, as it's assumed you've already an installation of TeX
> Live (of this tlpkg directory) in order to be able to install TeX
> Live with it.

I noticed that too. They do provide binaries for every platform but Mac:
http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/installer/lzma/
I think it's fair to say they expect Mac users to use MacTeX.

It's a reasonable assumption on their part, I think, that if you are
going to install TeXLive on a Mac from the iso image, you are probably
also capable of figuring out how to install lzma yourself (I did it
using macports in a few seconds). They have to draw the line somewhere
given the vast effort it takes to put this all together. I'm
struggling just to get the wiki respectably accurate. (Help!)

FYI, there is a Mac package available for installation:
http://tukaani.org/lzma/LZMA-Utils-4.32.6.pkg.zip

 From the same location, I downloaded the source, expanded ./
configure, make, sudo make install, no problem.

Joe