[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX problems with includegraphics

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu Sep 4 09:32:53 CEST 2008

Le 4 sept. 08 à 08:58, Peder Axensten a écrit :

> The graphic was created by the latest version of Illustrator, just a
> few days ago.
> Opening it in a text editor I can se 6 'endobj' scattered around the
> file, but I don't know the grammar of pdf files, so I can't tell if
> one is still missing.

Something's gone wrong when creating the original PDF file. Did you
really use Illustrator not only for generating the original graphic,
but also for converting it to PDF?

I've opened your PDF (slu.pdf) in Illustrator CS 3, saved it to
Illustrator format (slu-test.ai), saved in EPS (slu-test.eps) and PDF
(slu-test-ill.pdf) formats from within Illustrator, and for good
measure converted the EPS version to PDF using Preview (slu-test-
preview.pdf) and TeXShop (slu-test-epstopdf.pdf). All graphics can be
included in a XeLaTeX document (test.tex) with no problem.

Appended is an archive with all these files. Console output in TeXShop
is:

> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./test.tex
> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
> Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
> dumylang, noh
> yphenation, german-x-2008-06-18, ngerman-x-2008-06-18, ancientgreek,
> ibycus, ar
> abic, basque, bulgarian, catalan, pinyin, coptic, croatian, czech,
> danish, dutc
> h, esperanto, estonian, farsi, finnish, french, galician, german,
> ngerman, mono
> greek, greek, hungarian, icelandic, indonesian, interlingua, irish,
> italian, la
> tin, mongolian, mongolian2a, bokmal, nynorsk, polish, portuguese,
> romanian, rus
> sian, sanskrit, serbian, slovak, slovenian, spanish, swedish,
> turkish, ukenglis
> h, ukrainian, uppersorbian, welsh, loaded.
> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
> Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty
> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/trig.sty)
> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/tex/latex/config/graphics.cfg)
> (/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xetex-def/xetex.def))
> (./test.aux) <slu-test.eps> <use  "slu-test-ill.pdf" >
> <use  "slu-test-preview.pdf" > <use  "slu-test-epstopdf.pdf" > [1]
> (./test.aux)
>
> ** WARNING ** Version of PDF file (1.5) is newer than version limit
> specification.
>  )
> Output written on test.pdf (1 page).
> SyncTeX written on test.synctex.gz
> Transcript written on test.log.

Note that the PDF file created by Illustrator CS 3 is in PDF 1.5
format, not 1.2. That seems to confirm the interpretation about wrong
settings when creating your original PDF file.

Note also that, with xdvipdfmx, XeLaTeX is now able to include EPS
files directly. I hadn't realized that before. It also seems that
Illustrator CS 3 creates a PDF file with bounding box corresponding to
the file content, not a full a4 (or usletter) page. If confirmed, that
would represent a very welcome change of behaviour.

Bruno Voisin