[OS X TeX] TeX on Mac Wiki- please post news!

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Mon Sep 1 21:44:38 CEST 2008

http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=Application_Table

> If you mean the Mac-TeX OS-X Applications in a Nutshell, then I
> think that it still serves a purpose. Even assuming that it is all
> on MacTeX 2008,

Only a fraction ever was, is, or will be.

> it is still a very nice table of contents. I would hate to have to
> download MacTeX 2008 just to find out what's in it.

What's in MacTeX 2008 is listed on the MacTeX website. Don't mistake
the url for the wiki. The wiki is the replacement for the TeX on Mac
website at Penn State U
www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex

Everything in that table is being categorized properly into other
pages. The wiki is searchable as well.

> And if there is stuff in the table that is not in MacTeX 2008, then
> why get rid of the table?

Because it's also listed elsewhere, and thus requires that much more
effort to maintain. Redundant information tends to be easily
inconsistent. There are means around it, but someone really needs to
step up and work the table (and maintain it).

We just added a news page. This is intended to remove the incessant
updating of version numbers that the table requires. Regardless, I'm
going to kill this off. Keeping track of version numbers doesn't seem
to be happening on this page.

> Just add a column with a star for those items that are in MacTeX
> 2008 and you have a nice ad for MacTeX 2008.

I'll leave that for someone with the time/interest. That's the benefit
of the wiki. Others can jump in.

Further, the statistics page shows that this page is being accessed
less than even the news page in spite of being in bold on the main
page. The news page had two items on it until yesterday!

• Main Page (4,188)
• TeX Distributions (1,191)
• Getting started (1,101)
• Front Ends (1,094)