[OS X TeX] Slow MacTeX 2008

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM drdbthompson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 00:41:39 CET 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 07:25 , Maarten Sneep wrote:

> Can you create a new user account, and try again? In addition, set
> the PATH to "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin"
>
>> I think I have a pretty simple system. My texmf tree is relatively
>> small and my particular LaTeX file is not complex (it doesn't seem
>> to matter which LaTeX file I use, by the way).
>
> To rule that out, I would suggest you try with a fresh user account.
> We need to activate some debugging flags if that still fails, but
> others know better how to make sense of those (and their output).

After creating a dummy account and testing under that user, I still
had the same problem. So, I did a little poking around this afternoon
and found the problem. There was a fossil texmf directory in my /usr/
local/texlive directory that had a bad symlink in it. I decided to
back that directory up then hose it. Compile times are now reasonable
and I'll check to see whether anything is missing and finish patching
the system.

I can tell you how this occurred. Last year I did a texlive 2007
install before the MacTeX distribution was available. For whatever
reason I couldn't get my local texmf tree functioning, so I finally
resorted to creating one parallel to the texlive install in /usr/
local. That worked just fine until I installed MacTeX 2008 when all
**** broke lose.

Thank all of you so much for helping me resolve my problem. TeX rules;
Word drools! I'll go back to lurking now. :)

-=d

David Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM
Civil Engineer/Hydrologist